matt tullos

the compost pile of writer, matt tullos. mostly poems, prayers, rants and naratives... "Gods passion for the world has compelled me to be a contributor in the warfare of grace rather than a spectator in the warfare of religion."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alexandria, LA, United States

Monday, August 30, 2004

Last Wednesday's Retreat Time

My Wednesday silent retreat was a half success. I did experience some visions and a two extended times to reflect. My thoughts however were convoluted by the buzz of a crowded city. I had an opportunity that morning to enter into "The Church of Saint Dionysius." It was everything you would imagine a greek orthodox church to be. Ornate paintings and decorations and quiet. I don't know very much about their faith other that they seem to be quite less iconoclastic than the Roman Catholic Churches. But still there was much kissing of the objects and paintings. I read through several Psalms and sat in silence, prayed and (much too my disappointment) I didn't have any great revelation. Wish I could say that the clouds parted, but that wouldn't exactly be true. I think the setting was too insecure and public for me to really let my guard down and open my ears fully to God. I then traveled up to the highest point of Athens. An old fortress of a monastery. Again in the heat I listened, prayed and waited on God, But the scurry around me made the retreat less lonely and therefore a hindrance to my goal. I did have time to pray and read and ponder but I don't think I can truly say that I succeeded in my goal. I am praying for a second chance and a better opportunity.

I have more stories to record for my own remembrance but the night is gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home