matt tullos

the compost pile of writer, matt tullos. mostly poems, prayers, rants and naratives... "Gods passion for the world has compelled me to be a contributor in the warfare of grace rather than a spectator in the warfare of religion."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alexandria, LA, United States

Thursday, November 20, 2003

yesterday's encounter

He was disgusted that I would show up on the street next to his car. I think he expected that after he screamed at me for something that I didn't do that I'd walk on the other side of the street until one of us moved off of the block. I had the normal male ego fantasies of a Gresham court scene... justice would prevail. I was hurt and very, very angry but i did get a word. It had to be from God because i certainly didn't want to do it. i purchased a 30-dollar gift certificate to a grill nearby.

He ignored me as a stood beside the car but finally he rolled down the window.

"What do you want"

"I was impressed by God that i should give this to you."

What is it? he said treating it as if i was capable of biological terrorism.
"It's a gift certificate."

He took it, looked at it, and then said with a forced, sarcastic smile, "Thanks but I don't want your gift certificate."

"You don't understand. This isn't mine- its yours."

he tried to hand it back

but then seeing that I wouldn't receive it, he tossed the gift certificate in the road, rolled the window and sat in his car fuming.

at that moment i experienced a spiritual release.

So what about the gift? i'm not a saint. i went inside my house and fixed my eyes on the gift certificate in the middle of the road. 30 bucks... he sat there in the car for a long time... but finally he went out and picked up the card and brought it in.

I pray God will use this gift as a tool of grace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home